Tuesday 11 October 2011

Grand Canyon

OK. I'm still catching up.  As I write this, we're in Page, Arizona...heading
to Durango today. 

But first the Grand Canyon.

We'd been listening nervously to radio news stories about a storm
front coming in from California (!) that would turn the high
elevations of the Grand Canyon into a blizzard!  And sure enough
as we headed up highway 89  there was snow - a lot
of it - on top of Mt. San Francisco at Flagstaff. 



As we followed the directions to the south rim, a few clouds loomed,
then receded.  We drove into the setting sun, and stopped for amazing
views at the entrance to the canyon.   The light was perfect although
the car thermometer showed 5 C.  At least I'd switched to sneakers.
Blair was still wearing flip-flops.  He still has a wonderful smile!


It was pitch black when we arrived at the village.  Think thriving ski
resort and that's a good way to describe Grand Canyon Village South
Rim.  Thankfully there was no snow!  And the forcast storm stayed
far away.

We'd originally thought we'd get up for sunrise...but we were so
pooped that we figured we'd settle for an 8 am walk along the rim.

That's where Blair let his fingers do the walking...he took more
than 300 pictures.  He would have taken more but the Lumix battery
died...and we had to go back and recharge.  Of course I have my own
camera plus the cell phone camera.  And a flip video camera...talk
about battery/electricity dependent!  But back to the Canyon...here are
only a few of those snaps!



I'll post more of our pix in a separate blog.  But I wanted to mention the fantastic
meal we had at a beautiful old lodge perched on the rim of the canyon, called
El Tovar.


Our Tuscon friends had insisted we make a reservation.  We were so glad we did
because at our appointed time of 5:15, there were many other guests clamouring
to be let in.  But we were led to our table - white table cloth - and listened to
an elegant waiter named Jaime list off our possibilities.  I chose chicken marsala
and angel hair pasta while Blair picked pork chops and declared them to be
excellent.  I drank Grand Canyon Merlot and soaked up the atmosphere.  The
room was dark and quiet, lined with large paintings from Native American
mythology.  I only used my camera once...for this piece de resistance.  A desert
I could not resist - Chocolate mousse in a chocolate taco!  It was so
beautiful, I didn't want to touch it.  But I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment